Employers BEWARE – OSHA Fines Increasing
Wednesday, October 12th, 2016
OSHA has not increased civil penalties on employers cited for safety violations since 1990. On November 2, 2015, President Obama signed the “Bipartisan Budget Act of 2015” with a provision requiring OSHA to significantly increase penalties they impose.
What does this mean to you? Penalties are increasing nearly 80%. As of August 1st, the $7,000 cap amount would increase to $12,600 per violation. That is not per facility, it is per violation. This “Catch-Up Adjustment” is based on the increase in the Consumer Price Index from October, 2015, to October, 1990. This change adds a powerful weapon to OSHA’s growing enforcement. This will apply to all future inspections and those in process that conclude after August 1st. https://www.osha.gov/penalties.html
What can you do to protect your business?
• Ensure that safety programs are comprehensive and up-to-date.
• Ensure that employees receive all required safety training and that all training is well-documented.
• Assess the workplace for hazards and address identified hazards quickly.
S/P2 can help you provide the OSHA and EPA required annual training!
• All training records are on your account for quick access.
• The Supervisor’s course will help you identify hazards in your shop.
• A 1-year subscription is just $299 to train ALL staff at your location.
• And, at no additional cost, Ethics and YOU in the Automotive Industry is included.
Set up an S/P2 training account for your business today, or contact S/P2 for more information.
Protect your Employees, Protect your Business, Protect Yourself!
Sign up to our email list to get important updates!